Wednesday 9 January 2013

My internship at Harper's Bazaar


If you follow me on Twitter or Facebook you will probably have seen my over excited posts about my most recent published posts (and here) on the Harper's Bazaar website.

This is just a quick post as people keep asking me what I did there/if I enjoyed it etc, so thought it would be easiest just to post it on here!

I absolutely loved my month at Harper's it was amazing and everyone was so welcoming, it was so much fun.    My tasks were mainly assisting the Beauty Assistant, keeping track of the diaries of the Beauty Director and Editor, replying to invites, sorting post and samples, keeping a log of the (very extensive!) list of Christmas presents for the Beauty Director and Director-At-Large. But, as it is such a small team at Harper's I got a lot of hands on experience, writing copy for the website, talking to PRs, arranging call ins, things like that. There were also a few perks along the way (I think I took a few too many lipsticks!)

Working in PR, I had to know all of the beauty teams individually by name for each magazine so to actually meet Sophie Forte the Beauty Director felt a bit like meeting a celebrity, but she was so lovely and really helpful giving me advice about the industry.

For anyone who wants any advice on getting an internship at a monthly magazine, I would say follow people individually on Twitter - this is essential, for example the Beauty Assistant at Harper's is @victicktoria and I also follow the Harper's Bazaar Beauty Team @BazaarBeauty, which is how I found out they were looking for someone. You will find that they post from these rather than the main magazine account so it is really helpful.

If anyone wants to read my post (this is the last time I mention it I SWEAR) you can here and here!

Feel free to message me if you have any other questions!

V x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)